Reasons for surgery

Despite enjoying a period of relative good health, certain test results have come in suggesting that things under the surface are not as under control as they might seem. The results from a CT scan suggest that most of my large intestine is really badly infected, along with a section of small intestine. When I say infected I am referring to strictures and narrowing on the inside of the gut. Moreover, the scan suggests that a part of my small intestine has stuck to the large intestine beyond the worst of the infection. As well as this fusing, a fissure has opened between the two, allowing food to pass from the small to the large intestine at an abnormal point, pretty much by-passing the main problem area.

This could well account for the recent “good health” that I have been feeling. However, as I have learnt, this could pose a problem in that if some food happens to pass into this infected part of intestine, then there is a risk of it getting stuck, aggravating the area. This would then trigger infections and a string of problems leading to emergency surgery which is obviously a situation that I want to avoid at all costs. The course of action suggested to me is to have the surgery to remove the bulk of the infected part of the intestines while the rest of me is in a healthy state, bettering my recovery.

It is obviously difficult for the surgeons to get a detailed understanding of how bad things are from the scan. This being the case it is very difficult for them to determine things such as recovery rates and the exact extent of surgery until they can see the state of things for themselves. I might learn more when I see the surgeon for a meeting in the next few weeks, but I understand that it must be difficult to give an accurate prediction based on the current information.

In short there are three outcomes from what I can determine. The first is that they remove the infected part, and join two healthy sections of intestine. The second is for them to remove the infected section, and fit a stoma bag while I recover from the removal of the infected section. They would then carry out a second operation to take out the bag and join the healthy sections of intestine. The third option is basically the second option, only the stoma is permanent. The scary thing for me is that I’m not sure I will know which option will be the appropriate one until after the event.

So now, all I can do is wait, and keep calm. I will find out more information over the coming weeks and months, ask every question, find out as much information as I can, and take things one step at a time.

About tomcoppin

Hello! I'm Tom, and I write on two pages here on wordpress. My first is TomsCrohnsDiary where I share my experience of living life with a condition called Crohn's Disease. I started this page to raise awareness of Crohn's, as well as helping out people who have been diagnosed. My more recent page is all about self sufficiency, sharing ideas that I pick up with my fiancee Sarah. If you have any questions then feel free to message or comment and I will answer! Have a great day people. KBO
This entry was posted in Background information and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s